Monday, March 9, 2009

Testimony Builders




A little member boy

Will sent this picture today - it looks like they had a good lunch that day.

Hola Familia,
Another great week is Bucaramanga has passed way too fast.
I have read in Doctrina y Convenios and in Preach my Gospel where it says that the lord will guide his elect to you if you work with faith. A few days ago as we were leaving lunch walking down the street, I heard someone call "Hey Mono venga" (mono is a term they use here to say white person or gringo and venga is like come here). Initially, I thought it was just some crazy guy asking for money or something so I had the thought to just keep walking but then I felt like I should turn around and we knew that we should go talk to him. He showed us a Book of Mormon someone had given his mom and he said it was interesting but he wanted us to explain it. We told him we would be more than happy to and he invited us in. We taught him all about how the Savior established his church, the great apostasy, the restauracion and about the Book of Mormon. He loved it and he said he really felt something special when he read it. We set up an appointment to return in a few days and we taught him again and invited him to come to church. By himself, he asked how he could become a member of our church, so we taught him baptism and we are now preparing him to be baptized the 28th. He went to church yesterday and talked with many of the members and participated in the class and everything.
I wouldn’t say I was feeling discouraged, but after having so much success and now going for awhile without baptisms, I was feeling a little disappointed. But I know the Lord guided one of his elect to us and now we get to do what we can to prepare him and help him. We have other investigators that are also progressing but I wanted to write a little of the experience that we had with him.
The week here started off nice and cool with plenty of rain, but these last few days have been veery hot. I saw a thermometer today and it said 89 degrees and it’s been about the same these last few days. When you combine that with 95% humidity it feels like a sauna. But believe it or not I have gotten pretty used to the hot tropical climate and even the freezing showers don’t seem so freezing anymore.
Haha also I had a good crazy Colombian lunch the other day. Sister Sandoval gave us a soup for lunch but she told me she wouldn’t tell me what was in it until after, so I ate it and it was actually pretty good. After finishing it, she told me it was soup of cow heart, liver and pancreas... mmmmmmm mmmm right? Ha but it was actually quite good.
Well as far as the questions. One parcel that had some CTR rings, skittles, church supplies and pics of the Bates arrived. Thanks a ton, it was nice to see all the kids growing like crazy and I haven’t had skittles in about 7 months so they were veeerry good. Also I gave CTR rings to some of my converts and they were very happy.
The sister missionaries are from Ecuador and Peru.
A few people have asked to see my photos. They are all amazed at how huge the High School is and that we have trees and everything.
Well thanks a ton, pues Mucho Amor y hablaremos esta semana que viene.
Hasta Lunes, Elder Barnard

Hola mama, Well I checked the rules for books and there are only a few we can have. Sorry if you already sent one. Also I wanted to say thanks for the great letters and the pictures and spiritual thoughts. I know it probably takes a long time to upload all the pics and write spiritual thoughts from those books so thanks a ton. Well gotta run. Much love Elder B

No comments:

Post a Comment