Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New Missionaries

This must be Elder Wagstaff - he's a big handsome boy. With his blond hair he will really stand out. He looks like he loves Giron already.


Will with two of the Elders in his apartment - I think.

Will said that he was frying plantains - I am continually amazed at his new cooking skills. Ha ha.


March 23, 2009
Hola familia,
It’s good to hear that all is going well even if you’re all over the place traveling to Canada etc. This has been another good week in Bucaramanga, we just keep grinding along looking for the elect. These few weeks have been a struggle to find progressing investigators but we have been trying many different things and involving the members so I know it will come. I know the Lord always puts us with people or gives us challenges to help us learn and grow in something.

This week two new gringo Elders arrived here, Elder Wagstaff and Christiansen. They sent them on a middle of the night bus, all by themselves, exactly like Elder Lee and me. We're glad they got here okay. They had quite a trip.

Since I live with the Zone leaders, they asked me if I would go with one of them (Elder Fernandez) to pick them up and the other one stayed with my comp. Because it’s tough to communicate and understand people when you first start the mission, they gave them a cell phone to carry and I would call them every once in a while to see where they where (not that they knew ha-ha). So we were up waiting all night for them to get here and call. They called at about 4 in the morning and said they thought they were in Bucaramanga because the bus was stopped but they didn’t know for sure. We had them give the phone to the bus driver and he told us they had already passed the terminal and were like 10 miles outside the city up a mountain heading to parts unknown. So we hurried and grabbed a taxi and went to where they said. I’m glad we found them – it wouldn’t be fun to be lost in the Colombian jungle in the middle of the night. Who knows where they could have ended up. We picked them up and we couldn’t all fit in a taxi so I went in one with the two new elders and Elder Fernandez and the comp of Elder Christiansen went in another.

It was really cool because that was exactly the situation I was in a few months ago. I got to amaze them with my Spanish skills talking to the taxi driver and getting us to the house ha-ha.
Elder Christiansen left right away with his comp to Cucuta, but Elder Wagstaff stayed the night so I really got to talk to him. He is awesome. They both seem like really good elders. We’re so glad to have them here. Elder Wagstaff will be in Giron with Elder Lee and those guys there. They were lucky to be able to come to a really good area to start out their missions. I know they will love it here.

Today we went to Giron to play some b-ball with Elder Wagstaff and his comp and some of the members of their ward. Wow, it was great to play b-ball with these guys. I found out he went to Olympus High School in Salt Lake so we had played them like 4 times in spring league and he said he remembered losing to us ha-ha.

But to los preguntas. Elder Amador only has been in the mission a little over a year so he has plenty of time left so I’m sure the package will get to him fine (I think the best way to assure packages is to plaster them with stickers of Jesus and the Virgin Mary because they are all Catholic. Now for your questions. I would like to get some recipes of typical dinners you make, the elders want me to cook some normal gringo food, so recipes would be very useful. Usually we take a taxi to the church because it’s pretty far but after we almost always walk to the next lesson or the house. When the sisters have a baptism they either ask a member or one of us to do it, last week they had one and a member did it. I am always very happy with the packages so whatever you send I will be very grateful. Also the church supplies are very cool and I was grateful for it but don’t worry about sending proclamation to the world or stuff like that because we basically have closets full). The rules are that we should be out of bed by 6:30 and praying followed by exercise. I haven’t had any problems with shirts getting stretched and to dry them, we have ropes tied up on the roof (we have an awesome roof pario thing) and I hang hangers there like a clothesline. And yes I take my vitamins frequentlyJ Well I’m short on time but thanks for all the support and the prayers I hope all goes well with the travel/tornadoes/kids/etc and I will talk to you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment