Friday, July 31, 2009

Difficult Times

July 27, 2009
Hola mi familia,
Well I know my letters always start the same but it’s been another good busy week. This week we had the last 3 zone conferences and some good time to work in our area so I’m very content. The last 3 zone conferences went very well, 2 of them were in Bogotá and the last one in Duitama. We put emphasis and talked a lot about our purpose as missionaries and the how we could convert ourselves in missionaries that strive for our purpose for the right reasons. Having these Zone Conferences and Leader Counsels has really helped me with public speaking and I now feel comfortable talking in front of the missionaries etc.

President and Sister Hacking are great, we have really grown to love them.
Today was a good P day. We had a great personal and companionship study, and then went and played basketball and soccer a little as a district. The new rule is that the districts (4-8 missionaries) can get together 2 pdays a month and play relaxed sports for an hour without getting too competitive. I was a little rusty with the basketball and it’s always different to play outside so I shot for a little bit and then we played some soccer, which although I have no idea how to play right, was fun.

This was a great week for the mission, we finished with 56 confirmations which is a new record for one week in our mission. Also we have a baptism in our area this Saturday, it’s a woman named Sandra. Her husband is almost a lifelong inactive member. She decided to come to church and after a few lessons made the choice to be baptized. We (Elder Corro and I) have started the habit of fasting every Saturday to try and improve and have a bigger porcion of the spirit. This Saturday we had a great experience, almost everything we fasted for turned out exactly, including the interview of Sandra.

I’m really sorry to hear the news about Ben. I am going to start fasting tonight and pray for him and Angie and the kids. (Our precious son-in-law Ben, has been diagnosed with cancer (Lymphoma). He has three tumors on his back and has been through many tests these past few weeks. We are waiting to find out how advanced it is. The results will be in on Monday. We have just found out this past week from his Oncologists, that it is a very rare and rapid growing cancer and they will start him on 6 months of chemotherapy right away. He and our daughter Angie have four little children and she is expecting a new baby girl Oct. 1 which makes this even more difficult). There is a scripture I really like, Alma 7:11 that talks about how Christ would go forth and take on all of our sadness, sins and infirmities (sicknesses) and would feel and understand every one of them at once. So that when we had to pass through them he would know exactly how to comfort us. It really is reassuring and has helped me a lot to know that however bad I might feel or whatever might happen to me or someone I love, Christ felt it once and did it all by himself, so that we wouldn’t have to all by ourselves. I know there is not much I can do to help 3000 miles away but try to serve the people here, but I do know the Lord knows what he’s doing and He can help us get through anything. 28 ¶ aCome unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
I loved Elder Holland’s conference talk. He said, “Brothers and sisters; one of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so. His solitary journey brought great company for our little version of that path—the merciful care of our Father in Heaven, the unfailing companionship of this Beloved Son, the consummate gift of the Holy Ghost, angels in heaven, family members on both sides of the veil, prophets and apostles, teachers, leaders, friends. All of these and more have been given as companions for our mortal journey because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His gospel. Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone or unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are. Truly the Redeemer of us all said, “I will not leave you comfortless. [My Father and] I will come to you [and abide with you].”
And lastly one of my favorite scriptures that may apply perfectly. D&C 6 36. Look unto me in every thought, doubt not fear not.” So the main thing I could say during such a difficult time, is to look unto the Savior and let him help. I know how strong and faithful Ben and Angie are in the gospel and He will help them get through this.

Thanks for all your love and support. I love every day of my mission and I know I am incredibly blessed. I really have come to find out we are never alone. Don’t forget to enjoy all the great blessings we have. The family and Ben will be in my prayers continually. Much love and chiau till next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment